In the world of UTVs, Polaris and Can-Am have been dominating the market for quite a while. One of the main reasons those UTVs have been so popular is the insane amount of performance they offer. Arctic Cat has been lagging behind as far as sales in the UTV market. Textron acquired them back in 2017, and the new Textron Wildcat XX is the result of that merge. Recently we had the opportunity to crack open the ECU of a Wildcat XX and see what kind of magic we could work with our VR Tuned tuning. Unlike the Can-Am X3, the Wildcat XX uses a naturally aspirated engine meaning it’s not as easy to squeeze huge amounts of power out of, but we managed to find some gains.
In case you didn’t know, modern engines use a computer to manage everything that makes the engine run. Fuel, ignition timing, and many more components are managed by the ECU. By adjusting the parameters of the engine, you can squeeze more power out of it. This is typically done by advancing the ignition timing and optimizing the air/fuel ratio. This is exactly what we did once we got inside the ECU of the Wildcat XX. As we found on our all-wheel-drive Mustang dyno, gains of 4 to 6 rear-wheel-horsepower can be achieved reliably and consistently. This testing was done on 91 octane fuel, and 110F temperatures, so better fuel and cooler ambient temperature will result in even better gains!
As we mentioned above, more power is possible with better fuel and lower ambient temperatures. This is something we accounted for, so the ECU will adjust according to the fuel you use, elevation, and temperatures. This means you will also get as much power as possible from your Wildcat XX. Of course, we also made sure the tune will not negatively affect reliability because no one likes when their toy is broken! In order to tune you ECU, it must be mailed into our headquarters where we can flash it on the bench.
Crank Horsepower Gains:
- 4 – 6 rear wheel horsepower
- Speed Limiter Raised (73mph stock to 84mph)
- Rev Limiter Raised (9100rpm stock to 9800)
- Better Throttle Response
- Changes to Fuel and Timing Maps
- Left Foot Braking
What are the benefits of VR Tuned?
- #1 priority is our customer service to you!
- Our tuning is used worldwide.
- Basic bolt-on performance parts will not require a retune of your ECU. The ECU will adapt to these changes.
- We can tune cars worldwide including JDM, EU, Australian, and USA cars for different types of octane or environments.
- We do not lock, “pot”, or keep control of your ECU. If you decide to take it to another tuner for an upgrade, all flashing ability is retained.
How to Flash Your ECU?
- We can bench flash your ECU. To bench flash the ECU, you must remove it from your vehicle and send it to us. Once we receive the ECU, we will prepare the tune file and then overnight it back to you for reinstallation. We do not solder or modify the ECU board at all. All ECU tuning is done via bungy probes that have a needle tip to provide an electrical connection.