Exedy flywheels combine low weight, low inertia and high thermal capacity. They are designed for lightly tuned racing cars for drag racing, autocross and rally events, as well as street usage. They are made from solid one-piece billet chromoly steel or chromoly steel forgings. They are specifically designed to reduce weight and inertia for better engine response. Most incorporate special design features to enhance the airflow which improves the cooling of the clutch. The ring gear teeth are integrated onto the flywheel unlike an aluminum flywheel where the ring gear is pressed onto the flywheel and has the possibility of separating from the flywheel due to the different expansion coefficients of aluminum versus steel. Exedy steel billet and forged steel flywheels have passed engineering tests to 15,000-18,000 rpm. They are guaranteed not to fail to the said rpm, and are all SFI approved.Forged Chromoly Flywheel:
- Combination of low weight and high heat capacity
- Designed for Rally, Drag and hi-performance Street
- Reduced weight and inertia means snappier throttle response and quicker shifting
- Designed to increase airflow to help cooling (most)
- One-piece flywheel - starter teeth machined in place
- Unlike an aluminum flywheel, ring gear can???t separate
- Unlike an aluminum flywheel, friction surface can???t warp
- May be resurfaced for future clutch service
- Tested up to 18,000 rpm without failure
- All Exedy Chromoly Flywheels are SFI approved
- One Piece Billet Chromoly Steel
- 19.6 lb.
Exedy Corporation is based out of Japan and it's main focus is aftermarket and OEM clutch kits. Most well known in the tuner industry for their high performance clutch products, Exedy has several different kits available for street or race cars. Their highest line kit is a triple plate carbon fiber disk clutch kit, while the most popular unit is their Twin Plate kit with Flywheel. These kits are generally for high performance street or race cars with horsepower exceeding 500whp. Exedy also manufactures great OEM replacement clutch kits for your average street vehicle.