“Replacing the heavy and restrictive factory headers is central to improving performance. By pursuing a full system replacement we can eliminate the restrictive cat assemblies, the”particulate filters”, and the giant 7 – connection point to the factory rear muffler assembly. A simple flange optimization to our previous generation GT3 Competition Headers allows us to get rid of the factory 991 gen connection point requiring costly OEM clamps and donut gaskets and utilize a more efficient v-band connection point.
Even a premier engineering masterpiece like the GT3 comes from Porsche fitted with exhaust manifolds restricted in terms of primary tubing length, runner diameter, and merge collection efficiency due to dense catalytic converters, mass production, emissions and sound restriction compromises. By refining the interface between the flange/primary tubes, using smooth radius large diameter bends, and implementing performance oriented collectors with merge spikes, we have been able to achieve increased flow, response, and performance with a more aggressive exhaust note to match. A slip on merge collector was not considered to prevent any chances of exhaust leaks. Instead we focused on designing a high flow collector from CAD to CNC for a no compromise end result. This bespoke billet collector allows for maximized runner length and the elimination of several welds in the interest of durability. Our billet CNC head flanges allow for a more efficient transition from exhaust ports into the runners and adds extra strength in a high stress area preventing the chances for any cracking from repeated, hard use during track days.”
“With limited room under the vehicle we had to craft an intricate solution and loop the exhaust to keep the cats in line after the headers to maximize exhaust velocity. A muffler proved to be the most effective way to reduce the drone level under 3k rpm enough to meet our goals for reduced cabin presence for an exciting touring level of sound.
With valves open, the exhaust is free to flow through 3″ piping and an x-pipe that merges the exhaust flow for a higher-pitched, smooth sound with maximum flow characteristics. With valves closed the exhaust is routed through secondary flow path piping and a bespoke SOUL muffler. The internal design has little to no restriction in the flow path, using straight-through perforated piping to allow exhaust gasses to escape and become muffled in the surrounding packing material of the muffler body. The muffler also incorporates an internal x-pipe to allow the exhaust flow to merge smoothly. All of these characteristics are crucial towards reducing and smoothing out the drone in the sub 3,000rpm range while enhancing the higher-pitched note we were after in both the valves closed and open conditions.
In addition to the bespoke muffler design, there are several other unique characteristics we’ve brought into play on this system which revolve around the secondary flow path entering the muffler. The key thing to note here is that the valves open flow path is not limited to the external x-pipe flow path as some of the exhaust flow is still going through the secondary flow path even when the valves are open. This design is essentially utilizing the entire secondary flow path and muffler design to smooth out the tone and drone in valves open mode as well. Utilizing this secondary flow path for cruising cabin presence, we were able to go aggressive on the design of the primary valves open flow path to maximize the sound improvement without incorporating additional resonators or mufflers.
The catted/catless sections are interchangeable. You can reduce the chance of CELs with 200cell cats and tone down the exhaust if need be, or you can run the catless section to amp up the fun and performance on track. We also utilize a tip plate (same style as used on 991 GT3’s) allowing one to switch between tip assemblies/styles.”
- All Soul Performance Products exhaust components are backed by the industry’s first and finest Lifetime Warranty for both street and track use
- Designed and built in-house at our Willow Grove, PA facility
- Very smooth experience in the cabin – from rolling on the gas at low rpm to high rpm WOT.
- Higher pitched and more refined in the low end than a system without muffler
- Comfortable under 4k rpms with a reasonable level of cabin presence/drone.
- Noticeable delta of sound level in and outside the car with the ability to fly under the radar with valves closed during casual driving.
- With valves closed, volume is increased by a refined amount. The sound is not only more pronounced, but smoother and more exciting with more tone than the dull, hollow factory exhaust note.
- Aggressive at wide open throttle when valves begin opening at 4k then fully open at 5k. A streetable, reasonable level of volume on command compared to a muffler-less system that is loud at all times.
- Estimated Labor 4-5HRS
- Porsche 992 GT3 models 2022+